Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Big Sugar, Bigger Nerds

When we decided to head to L.A. for a mini-vacation for Memorial Day weekend, I had one goal: see Big Sugar, my brother’s wife’s bakery. Sure, I’d heard that the donut muffins were to die for (they were) and yeah, I wanted to load up on delicious buckeyes…



…but I was really going because I designed their logo...



...and I wanted to see it in action. I wasn’t disappointed. Check out the awesomeness.


Click on picture to enlarge.



Click on picture to enlarge.



ME SEEING THE SIGN FOR THE FIRST TIME.

Click on picture to enlarge.




HELEN SAMPLING EVERYTHING.

Click on picture to enlarge.




INSIDE BIG SUGAR.

Click on picture to enlarge.


Logo aside, I was blown away by the bakeshop itself. As charming as it is well-designed. I kept doing 360s of the place, in awe of how cool and perfect it was.

I was already proud of the logo (one of three favorite logos I’ve ever done), but I’m even prouder of Lisa’s accomplishment.

On the flipside of cool - the Bizarro cool, if you will - Helen and I checked out the Star Wars Convention at the L.A. Convention Center this weekend. See how I used the phrase “checked out” as opposed to “attended.” I am going to try to sound like we’re not total nerds but I have to admit: It was soooo awesome.

Yes, there were 40 year-olds dressed up as Ben Kenobi, light saber and all. Sure, there were women dressed up as Slave Girl Leia (and no, they could NOT pull it off as well as Carrie Fisher did). And no, I did not know that video stores across America employed THIS many people. But, I gotta say, it was a lot of fun.

I would say we were totally geeking out, but that’s not how anyone treated us. Everyone was so nice and so accepting. They could tell it was our first convention and they accepted us with open arms. Okay, so those arms were covered in home-made Empire-grade plastic Boba Fett forearm shielding, but so what?! Here are a few favorite pics:


HELEN GETTING CHOKED DARK-SIDE-STYLE BY DARTH VADER

Click on picture to enlarge.



ME SUPPORTING THE TROOPS

Click on picture to enlarge.



DAVE WITH THE VERY POPULAR TROOPERETTE

Click on picture to enlarge.

No comments: