Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Superman Returns

Well, it’s 1:30 in the morning and I just got back from seeing Superman Returns. Legitimate chills hearing that classic John Williams theme again (Thanks, Stravinsky!). Needless to say, I loved the movie literally from the opening credits to the very last shot. Don’t worry, I won’t spoil anything for you. I'll just say that we finally get to know Superman’s secret identity and you’ll never guess who it is. Ooo, I’m dying to tell!

Anyway, I believe Superman was the first thing I ever drew that actually looked like something and I’ve been a fan ever since. To be clear, I mean that it was the first thing I ever drew WHEN I WAS A KID that looked like something. If it was the first thing I EVER drew that looked like something that would be so sad. Moving on.

In such cynical times, it must have been tough to do a movie about a character like this. A movie about someone so...good. No dark side. No bad-ass costume. Just a good guy trying to help people out because he believes they’re special in some way. Putting it like that, I suppose I could be talking about most fathers. I know I’m talking about mine. Which, come to think of it, probably does a better job explaining why I’m such an admirer than those childhood drawings do.

3 comments:

Wm. said...

Really good. I mean swell.

Anonymous said...

well, hello mr. fancy pants.

superman was alright i guess. but what's up with that lame-o villainous plot by LL?!?! yeah, i can just see the people lining up to live on Dirty Crystal Land... all those crystals have gotta cut your feet when walking on its "beach".

and how come there were no ill effects of a huge land mass rising out of the ocean? seems to me that wouldn't be good for the coasts of the atlantic.

yours truly,
the co-president of consenting designs.

chosen©er said...

Agreed. It seems a movie about a flying guy with heat vision, x-ray vision, telescopic vision and freeze breath would be grounded in reality more. Hollywood is SO fakey! Bastards.

I'm gonna buy the consentingdesigns url so you can't have it. BURN!